"I don't have time to eat healthy food"...."I just need food I can grab and go"...."I'm too tired to spend time cooking proper meals"....
People give me lots of reasons why they can't eat healthy food. The "time" excuse is usually the first one out of their mouths. But the truth is that a healthy whole food diet is the ultimate fast food. It doesn't get any faster than peeling a banana or grabbing some carrots and tomatoes to dunk into hummus.
Recently my friends and I have been posting some of our quick and healthy meals on Facebook. We get ideas from each other about what to make and you can earn some bragging rights if you post a great photo of a beautifully presented meal. Especially if you made it in 8 minutes or less.
So what kind of food are we looking for?
- Whole food. It looks on your plate the way it did on the farm.
- Colourful. Lots of different vegetables and herbs.
- Local. Where possible from your garden or local farmers (easy around here).
- Heavy on veggies. That's where all those great nutrients live. Preferably organic.
- Nothing processed. That includes all the refined breads, cereals, crackers that large food corporations would have you believe are healthy.
- No sugar or sugar substitutes. Our bodies don't need it.
- Fast. We all have busy lives. So you have to be able to throw the meal together in a few minutes.
- Tasty! Life's too short to eat bad food. It's got to be yummy.
Tuna on Salad
- Throw some organic greens in a large bowl, toss in some cherry tomatoes, red peppers, and any other veggies you've got kicking around.
- Toss the salad with some olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Mix a can of tuna with some red wine vinegar and place on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle fresh thyme (or other fresh herb) and some pitted kalamata olives over the top.
Voila! Takes about 5 minutes (longer if you have crappy can opener). Have a side of berries with or without some yogourt or almond milk or some sharp cheddar cheese.